Prompted

I'd forgotten about this, until the reminder just now asking if I want to keep it. Maybe it's a good thing to do that. Anything has to be easier to write than a thesis....After weeks of circling it and procrastinating generally--including a nasty stint of anxiety surrounding my 3 minute thesis presentation--I've finally started work.

Thank you to my supervisor for suggesting I send her an outline. It sounded like a reasonable request--a welcome prompt to get moving. So, I got out my coloured pens and started mind mapping. It felt good. Alas, I was woken early the next morning by a distressed child who appeared to be taking her last breaths. FML. 2 days later (and one night squashed between a feverish child and an enormous cat) there is no relief in sight. It seems like the flu, and it seems like I might be next in line- since she has taken up residence in my bed 24/7 (please let me be exaggerating) and is spreading that germ with gay abandon onto every surface I touch.

Still, it's not all bad. Between trips to the pharmacy for bigger and better drugs (for her, not me) and making chicken soup, boost-juice style mango fricken tango smoothies, and...well, that's about it...I'm actually a pretty crap carer. So what I'm trying to say is that I have had the opportunity to work on my thesis. And done very little. Well, I transferred my mind map to Scrivener, did a quick tutorial in htf to use it again, and wrote an introductory paragraph of sorts. I suppose I also sent a (VERY) rudimentary outline to my supervisor, which she promptly commented on and it was helpful. I love her. I want her for my PhD. But I don't think I'm doing much to make her want me back.

Damn, this is SO much easier than writing a thesis. It helps that no-one is going to read it of course. I have to force myself to stop because the baby bird is crying. The soup's run out. She's not going to like what I'll be making next, compliments of the dinner/grocery box delivery service. Man, there's just no satisfying those children- at least not concurrent with my need to NOT have to think about what to have for dinner and go fetch the ingredients.

So that was pretty satisfying...not only did I pump out a body of writing without stopping every 2 seconds to check that I'm 100% correct--verifiable with other sources--BUT I also realised that I have achieved more than I gave myself credit for. The pace though...it's glacial...

Comments